Our branches across the state of Connecticut offer a variety of Scholarships and Grants for girls and women who are looking to pursue higher education. Check out what your local branch has to offer!
- A scholarship program that targets Bridgeport residents attending a 4-year university or graduate program (not necessarily in Bridgeport) with at least 30 credits completed. This program provides access to education. Include the Barone education major scholarship. $2,000 (supports up to 5 women).
- A grant supporting HCC FESP 2.0, targeting low-income, mature women (who are mothers) seeking an associate’s degree and/or higher education certificate. This program addresses access to education, but also strongly encourages educational perseverance and completion. $5,000 (supports 4 women).
- A Community Service Leader scholarship program that commemorates AAUW Bridgeport’s 90 years of community service and financial support, targeting (for instance) women in higher education that are community service role models in the Bridgeport community. $3,000 (supports up to 3 women).
- AAUW Mature’s Women Scholarship: Applications are available through the Greater Meriden Branch of the American Association of University Women for the 2021-2022 academic years. To be eligible for this scholarship, a woman must: have been out of high school for at least five years, be a resident of Meriden, Wallingford, Southington, or Cheshire, and be enrolled, or anticipate enrollment, in an accredited college or university pursuing an associate, bachelor, or advanced degree. The award is funded by a yearly Book Author Luncheon and a Grant from the Cuno. Foundation.
Lower CT Valley
- LCV supports women by offering college grants (a $2000 grant) to students who are pursuing their undergraduate education at an accredited college or university. The number of educational grants they award depends on the number of applicants, their qualifications, and the amount of money available in our budget. Applicants must be at least 20 years of age by the end of the year, hold a high school diploma, be pursuing an Associate or Bachelor degree, and reside in Chester, Clinton, Deep River, East Haddam, Essex, Haddam, Killingworth, Lyme, Old Lyme, Old Saybrook, or Westbrook. The LCV branch has also funded several students each year to attend NCCWSL. This year we sponsored five students to attend virtual NCCWSL.
- Elizabeth Jordan Scholarship ($2000 to applicant).
- Sue Harkness Book Award ($500 to applicant).
Both are offered to rising juniors who will attend UCONN or Eastern CT State University. Application deadline is 3/15. The runner-up for the scholarship receives the book award. The $ is unrestricted. More information about the women targeted for the scholarship is on the branch website at: Website
- Scholarships are approximately $1,000 each. Recipients are recent High School graduates, entering college or a freshman in college/university. Recipients around the New London area are encouraged to apply.